CoQ10, also known as ubiquinone, is a vitamin-like substance that can be found in every cell in the body, especially in the cells that require large amounts of energy like the heart, muscles, and liver. One of the most vital roles is in the creation of adenosine triphosphate, also called ATP. It supports a healthy heart while it helps keep the immune system functioning properly. Some studies have stated that this supplement can add nine years to your life.
Because of the fact that CoQ10 that is normally present in our bodies diminishes with age, it is necessary to take a supplement to replenish it. This can be done by taking CoQ10 daily to protect your heart.
Where Can It Be found?
There are many foods that contain CoQ10, but it usually isn’t possible to consume enough food to supply the therapeutic amount necessary to provide the health benefits. Some of them include:
- Beef, salmon, chicken, trout
- Broccoli, cauliflower, spinach
- Oranges, nuts, soy
These foods may not provide the necessary amount of CoQ10, but it does provide some, along with many other nutrients, so it is advisable to continue consuming these nutritious foods.
Benefits of CoQ10
Physicians believe there are many benefits of taking a CoQ10 supplement, including the following:
- Helps the function of the immune system- Since the immune system requires a large amount of ATP in order to defend the body against any foreign invasion, CoQ10 helps by supporting the production of ATP.
- Reduces blood levels of high cholesterol- People with high cholesterol in their blood tend to have low amounts of CoQ10, so it stands to reason that if levels of CoQ10 increase, high cholesterol levels should decrease.
- In diabetes, stabilizes blood sugar levels
- Treats gum disease- The ability to heal and repair periodontal tissue increases with more CoQ10 in the blood.
- Increases sperm count – Sperm count increases as well as motility and density with supplementation with CoQ10.
- Treats heart disease and high blood pressure- Free radicals cause significant damage in this area and taking this supplement neutralises free radicals and blocks their damaging effects to the blood vessels and heart muscle.
- Boosts energy levels – Gives an energy boost while fatigued.
- Helps protect organs – Helps during the treatment of cancer by protecting organs from the toxic effects of chemotherapy
- Slow the progression of dementia- Dementia occurs as the mitochondria reduce energy release in certain areas of the brain. Once CoQ10 is consumed, mitochondrial energy increases and reverses the brain issues as a result.
- Treat or prevent migraine headaches- There was a 50% reduction in migraine headaches after treatment with CoQ10 in a double-blind study which proves encouraging for people who suffer from frequent migraines.
This powerful antioxidant has great potential to be a vital part of keeping our body healthy, beginning at the cellular level. All of these possible benefits have not been scientifically proven, but there is much medical evidence that these benefits are real. Since there are no side effects associated with taking CoQ10 and there is a chance that it helps on so many levels, it may be wise to take the supplement in the event the suspicions of how powerful this supplement can be are true.